Sunday, September 6, 2015

It's Monday! What are you reading?

It's Monday! What are you reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journeys. Jen Vincent over at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye from Unleashing Readers decided to put a children's and YA spin on it and they invite anyone with an interest to join in. You can participate by creating your post then visit one of their sites to add your site. Finally, visit at least three participant blogs and comment to spread the love.

If you want to know more about what I am reading, visit me at my Goodreads shelf. Images via Goodreads unless otherwise noted.

The Past Week:
I reviewed The Perfect Percival Priggs by Julie-Anne Graham

 
 
I loved How to Read a Story by Kate Messner. It will be a wonderful book share as a read aloud. Mummy Cat is absolutely gorgeous. We Should All Be Feminists is a fantastic TEDTalk that Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie gave that I had already seen. I didn't realize that until I was reading it. It was nice to see it in print though. The Witch's Boy by Kelly Barnhill was an intriguing middle grade fantasy that I listened to while I was setting up our new library and then while driving to Madison this weekend - quite enjoyable. Macbeth wasn't exactly cheerful, but Gareth Hinds does an excellent job making classics accessible. I really appreciate his explanations for his writing and illustration decisions that he includes at the end. I will review Trail of the Dead by Bruchac later this month over at Rich in Color, but I was quite entertained and look forward to reading more in this series. Neither Wolf Nor Dog by Kent Nerburn was a book that had me thinking. It's interesting because it is essentially a writer being asked by an elder to help him share thoughts with the world. The problem for me, was I never felt like I entirely trusted the writer. He doesn't share the elder's name because he said that there was a promise of anonymity. I guess I am a skeptic though so I wondered how we were supposed to be able to see the line between the author's thoughts and words and those of the elder. It was an extremely interesting look into Native life regardless.
 
The Coming Week: I just started listening to The Terrible Two by Mac Barnet and Jory John. I just got a copy of Into the Dangerous World so will likely start that soon along with Out of Darkness. I am also reading Spirits of the High Mesa which is another Pura Belpré Award book. It only has two stars, but that is from only one person. I'm enjoying it so far. I also downloaded the E-ARC of Urban Tribes. It's another book from the same editors that created the fabulous book Dreaming in Indian so I'm pretty excited to read it. It looks to be a great week of reading. I wish you the best.

9 comments:

  1. I plan to read How to Read a Story to my first and second graders when I see them in Media classes this week. Here is my Monday Report. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read How to Read a Story to my students. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Messner book, too, Crystal, and enjoyed hearing about the other books, too. It's great that We Should All Be Feminists turned into a book. Thanks, and have a good day today, a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I haven't read any of them and I always have fun checking out new titles! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed The Terrible Two and can't wait for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the notes at the end of MacBeth as well. So grateful for that extra scaffolding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a diverse list this week! Enjoy all of your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always enjoy Bruchac. Seems like a great list of reads.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no. My comment disappeared. Anyway, let me just rewrite it. I borrowed Dreaming in Indian from our library for a few months now but haven't gotten around to reading it. Thanks for reminding me. I am glad to see that you enjoyed The Witch's Boy - it captivated me from the first page. I thought it was beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete