Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge


Alyson Beecher over at Kid Lit Frenzy hosts a Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge and has a roundup every Wednesday. I love the encouragement to explore more non-fiction. I am thankful that she has this challenge because I know I have read more nonfiction texts as a result.

This will be a combination post with two books I've read recently and a few that are on my pile to be read soon. First for my vacation finds.


Astounding ABC produced by the Aga Khan Museum in Toronto

Goodreads Summary: From an arch and a lantern to an owl and a zoo, this ABC spelling book illustrates letters from the Latin alphabet with details from the Aga Khan Museum's superb collection of paintings, illuminated manuscripts, ceramics, metalwork, coins, and tiles from the 12th to 19th centuries. The board book offers an accessible introduction for very young children to the Museum's collection, showcasing a rich diversity of works from around the world, including Egypt, Sicily, India, Turkey, and Iran. Proving that learning can be fun, colourful, and exciting, Astounding ABC encourages children to explore the Museum's collection through animals, nature, historical figures, and a variety of artifacts.

My Thoughts: I loved this look at art from Muslim civilizations around the world. This book would be perfect to share before or after a visit to the Aga Khan Museum, but it is also a beautiful ABC book for children without physical access to the museum collection. The words used in the text are simple and the images that accompany them are vivid and interesting. I find it especially intriguing to see a king portrayed not with a crown, but a turban. It provides a look at artistic patterns and styles of dress that most of my students would not normally see in their daily lives.
 
The Aga Khan Museum

The Little RijksMuseum produced by the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam

Goodreads Summary: More than 120 works of art or details from them can be seen in this Little Rijksmuseum. Their creators are Rembrandt, Vermeer, Steen, Breitner, Van Gogh and other famous artists. From angel to windmill and beetle to zebra, these and many more... allow a fascinating glimpse into the national treasure-house of the Rijksmuseum.

My Thoughts:  Again, this would be a wonderful book to share with children before or after a visit to the museum. It is so fun to visit a museum and then watch for specific works of art. It's also nice to look at the images and remember the ones that you saw on your trip. That's what I like about this book. It makes a great reminder. There are works by Rembrandt, Van Gogh, and Vermeer along with many others that are less familiar. Even without the visit though, anyone interested in art would love this bookish walk through the museum.

Books to Read Soon

 The Blue Whale by Jenni Desmond

 
The Call of the Osprey by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent with Photographs by William Muñoz




2 comments:

  1. They all look delightful, Crystal. I know about The Blue Whale, but the book from the RIJKs Museum sounds and looks wonderful. I hope I can find it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting to see these titles from your trip Crystal. I enjoyed many of your tweets. The Blue Whale is a gorgeous title. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete