Monday, August 20, 2012

It's Monday! What are You Reading?

Jen & Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts host a meme every Monday that invites people to share the children's and young adult books they have been reading over the past week and what they plan on reading the following week.
I didn't post last week, so am posting all since the last time I did this.
Newbery Award Books

I love the characters in The Witch of Blackbird Pond. I know young readers could definitely get bogged down in some of the political issues (I did as a child), but the story is intriguing and the way everyday life in that time is depicted is pretty fascinating.  

Caldecott Award

Humor
The Origami Yoda books were my favorite of this group by far. I had to re-read the first two since it had been awhile. I laughed and cringed my way through all three at a rapid clip. Loved them!

Non-fiction
I enjoyed both for the most part. I really liked the review by this Goodreads reviewer about Little Rock Girl.

Graphic Novels
Loved Explorer. It was fun to see the creativity of so many authors as they penned unique stories involving boxes.

Young Adult

I read the Matched series and while I really had a great time with the first book, the second book seemed much slower and I am not sure I liked the alternating voices format. I don't always attend to chapter titles and once in awhile I was mistaken about whose chapter I was reading. That is my own idiosyncrasy, but it did make a difference. Also, there didn't seem to be all that much happening. I find that true of many middle books. I am still quite eager for the next book though.

Restless Spirit was a fantastic biography. I would like to know even more about Dorothea Lange now. 

Picture Book
Loved this wonderful book about family and am happy to have a way to share Anna with younger readers.

Middle Grade
This book had action, adventure, humor, and mystery in addition to a phenomenal main character. I can't wait for the next book.

The Coming Week:
I am planning on reading a professional book Choice Words along with Other People's Children. I will also need to be reading some books in preparation for our Battle of the Books program. We are quickly running out of summer reading time. Ack. Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. That is a TON of reading even for 2 weeks! I felt the same about Crossed even though I adored Matched. I had to keep flipping back to the beginning of the chapter to see who was talking. I'm hoping the 3rd book, Reached, will tie the series up nicely and settle well with me. I MUST read The False Prince: lots of good tweets and reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know I wasn't alone with Crossed. I felt a little silly flipping back and forth, but I have NEVER been good at reading chapter titles. I often ignore them completely.

    ReplyDelete