Monday, May 18, 2020

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you go to my Goodreads account, you can see what I have read recently & click on the books to learn more.

Last week on the blog: 

Last week in books:

The Map of Salt and Tears was an adult title I read for the #RamadanReadathon. It's a dual narrative with one character far in the past and one in about ten years ago. Someone on Twitter recommended it when we were talking about Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know and it's dual timeline of the past and present. 

It's a Whole Spiel is a YA anthology written by Jewish authors. It was a lovely collection. 

Show Me a Sign was an interesting middle grade book about a small New England community where there was a large deaf population so people there all learned sign language. I had never known about this actual place. It dealt with ableism, racism, friendship, and grief among other things. 

My favorite of the picture books were the biographies: It Began with a Page, By and By, and Thanks to Frances Perkins

The Coming Week:
I just started King and the Dragonflies and I am enthralled. I will likely read some more for the #RamadanReadathon, but otherwise, it's a toss up of what I will grab. Have a great week!

Reading Challenge Updates: 

4 comments:

  1. Show Me a Sign reminds me a bit of Song For a Whale. Both tackled deaf culture, but seeming in different ways. This one feels like it might be a bit more heavy handed, but it's a great topic to bring up in MG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed It Began With a Page, too. I still need to read the other two picture book biographies. I’m very much looking forward to Show Me a Sign. I enjoyed my years working with sign language and my best friend is an amazing interpreter and speech therapist, so much of her work and study has rubbed off on me. Thanks for all these shares, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked It Began With A Page, too, but don't know the others, Crystal. Show Me A Sign sounds interesting. I can't do it anymore, but a neighbor's young daughter became deaf when she had meningitis so a few of us in the neighborhood learned some signing for her sake. I imagine she would have loved the books that had kids like her. Thanks, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed It Began With a Page and will look forward to reading these other biographies. Thanks for the heads up about them.

    ReplyDelete