Monday, February 17, 2020

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you go to my Goodreads account, you can see what I have read recently & click on the books to learn more.

On the Blog:

Last week in books:


Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors was a fun retelling. Almost American Girl is a great YA graphic novel memoir. Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You was available as an ALC, Advance Listening Copy, through Libro.fm's free audiobooks for Educators/Librarians deal. It's amazing and I will likely be listening to it again and will for sure be sharing it with other teachers. I read How to Be Good for book club. It's a slightly bizarre book and as it is Nick Hornby there are a few amusing moments, but it wasn't my favorite. Wow, Three Women was not what I was expecting at all. I read it because it's one of the February books on The Stacks podcast. It's nonfiction and is looking at desire through the eyes and experiences of three women. It's like a reality show on the page and it is not holding anything back. It is definitely an adult book. How to Be an Antiracist was much like Stamped, but it was also a bit of a memoir along with the history. These are both important and helpful books. Finally, I read the nonfiction picture book Queen of Physics: How Wu Chien Shiung Helped Unlock the Secrets of the Atom. She was so awesome and persistent.

The Coming Week:
I just started the new Eric Gansworth memoir Apple (ARC from Edelweiss) and am also listening to All the Real Indians Died Off and am in the middle of the Let's Make Ramen! graphic novel cookbook. Have a great week!

Reading Challenge Updates: 
#MustReadin2020 - 12/36
#YARC2020 - 13/55

3 comments:

  1. I just applied for Libro, so hopefully I get approved and can listen to Stamped soon :)

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have How to Be an Antiracist on hold, so hopefully that will come available very soon. I really hope you are enjoying Apple -- looking forward to hearing your thoughts. And I'm going to check out the Libro educator/librarian option. Thanks for letting us know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was approved for Apple too, looking forward to reading it.
    I have the new Mulan in my stacks to read. With Grace Lin being the author, it should be a very good read! Glad to see you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete