Monday, January 20, 2020

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you go to my Goodreads account, you can see what I have read recently & click on the books to learn more.

There were many great books here, but the ones there were two that really wowed me. Infinite Hope is such an amazing and unique way to look at WWII. Ashley Bryan shares his art, letters, and stories from his time during the war. It really brings home that truth that the Black service members were facing racism and segregation within the military while simultaneously fighting for the freedom of others. They were also treated better by Europeans than by their own countrymen. Bryan shares of a time when German prisoners of war were able to sit up in the front of the bus with white soldiers while the Black soldiers were restricted to the back.

Red at the Bone is another fabulous book by Jacqueline Woodson. She tells the story of a family through a variety of voices in the present and past. She uses so few words to tell so much. I had this on my TBR, but had to move it up so I could listen to the next episode in The Stacks podcast. Jason Reynolds had been a guest on an episode talking writing and books, but the next episode was a chat about Red at the Bone with Jason and it was filled with spoilers, so I needed to get reading. This is my new favorite podcast. 

The Coming Week:
I just started Clean Getaway by Nic Stone and it is hard to set aside. I'm really enjoying it. I'm also still reading The Library Book for book club which is very interesting. I also have another pile of chapter books checked out from the library so I might grab a few of those too. Have a great week!

Reading Challenge Updates: 
#MustReadin2020 - 5/36
#YARC2020 - 6/55

3 comments:

  1. I'm happy to learn of Infinite Hope. This sounds just amazing -- adding it to my list. And I just placed a hold on Clean Getaway, so I'm looking forward to starting this one soon. You've had some wonderful reading this week Crystal. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved Red at the Bone. I knew nothing about the race riots and bombing of Tulsa until it. Woodson is such a brilliant author!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Infinite Hope sounds really good. I read a memoir a few years ago of a black journalist traveling through Europe during WWII, and he also pointed out the differences in his treatment in Europe.
    I like that it includes art and letters as well.

    ReplyDelete