Sunday, October 14, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you want to know more about what I've been reading, visit my Goodreads shelf.

The Past Week on the Blog:
The Past Week in Books: 





I finished There There by Tommy Orange. It was an interesting novel about urban Natives in the Oakland area. They had intertwining stories that all led to one powwow. I definitely think it's worth a read. I started How I Resist today and am really appreciating the variety of voices. 

I did read a few picture books, but life was very busy this week as I was one of the presenters at the Zolotow award ceremony in Madison this weekend. It was so cool to hand the award to Bao Phi for his book A Different Pond. It was also very nerve-wracking to speak in front of so many people with an audience containing authors and editors along with teachers, librarians, and others. The Zolotow Symposium was the following day so it was an excellent weekend. Here are some highlights:

Zolotow Lecture - Benjamin Alire-S
Erin Entrada Kelly

Gaia Cornwall

Bao Phi
It was an amazing time and I'm thankful to the CCBC for hosting and providing such great events.

The Coming Week: I'll finish How I Resist and will get to read a few more from a pile I have checked out.


Reading Challenge Updates: 
Goodreads Challenge 2018 - 527800
Diversity on the Shelf 2018 - 158/300
#MustReadin2018 - 19/30

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience for you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting to be a presenter/speaker at the Zolotow award ceremony!! It's so fun to get to attend those events and meet amazing authors (and present awards to books we all love)! I've been looking forward to eventually getting to There There and Hearts Unbroken. My pile is just a'growin and growin'! lol Have a wonderful reading week, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Bao Phi's work and am green with envy! Thanks for the review of Hearts Unbroken. I've not got a hold on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you honored A Different Pond. Such a stunning book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that photo of you and Bao Phi - A Different Pond was definitely one of my favourite reads last year. I think I paired it with The Best We Could Do, the graphic novel memoir of the illustrator of A Different Pond. :)

    ReplyDelete