Monday, December 25, 2017

It's Monday! What are you reading?

 

It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you want to know more about what I've been reading, visit my Goodreads shelf.

Past Weeks on the Blogs:


Last Week in Books:
 

 
The two chapter books I read were wonderful and both made me cry. I knew I would enjoy The War I Finally Won because I adored The War That Saved My Life. These are two fabulous pieces of middle grade historical fiction. Starfish came strongly recommended by Eric Smith and I had wanted to read it for awhile. 

Rot, the Cutest in the World was likely my favorite picture book this week. It cracked me up and I knew it was a perfect gift for one of my friends. 

Caroline's Comets and Muddy were great picture book biographies. I think we are getting spoiled with how many excellent nonfiction books are being published lately.

Update on Korean Dramas:
This is my year for watching Korean Dramas. I will blame it on Maureen Goo and the somewhat overwhelming dismal political situations of this year. I wrote about my introduction to K-Dramas here. Since then, I have watched quite a few more.

I tried Reply 1997, another recommendation from Maureen Goo. It was distinctive because the characters were a little more realistically flawed and it was a nice palate cleanser after the almost fantasy aspect of Boys Over Flowers. After that, While You Were Sleeping caught my attention. It's one of my favorites. It had a supernatural element, and it was fantastically funny. My husband never did make it through Goblin (Guardian), but he did give another one a try when he found it on Netflix. He's into Crime/Thrillers so Stranger (Secret Forest) was right up his alley. We watched that one together. My next rom/com was Because This is My First Life. For Winter Break I chose Coffee Prince. I pretty much binge watched that and have finished it already so I'm contemplating my next series and in the meantime, my husband has started watching Strong Woman Do Bong Soon so I'm re-watching it with him. :)

The Coming Week: 
I have a fairly ambitious stack of books set aside for Winter Break. First Rule of Punk will be a re-read and the rest are new to me.

Reading Challenge Updates:
Goodreads Challenge 2017 - 839/550
(when I made my goal, I didn't know I'd be on a picture book award committee - eek!)
Diversity on the Shelf 2017 - 255/225 (goal = 50% of my books by and/or about POC)
#OwnVoices Challenge - 154/125
#MustReadin2017 - 23/24

2 comments:

  1. The War I Finally Won will probably be my first read of 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of some books as palate cleansers - awesome description.

    ReplyDelete