Sunday, February 28, 2016

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journeys. Jen Vincent over at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye from Unleashing Readers decided to put a children's and YA spin on it and they invite anyone with an interest to join in. You can participate by creating your post then visit one of their sites to add your site. Finally, visit at least three participant blogs and comment to spread the love.

If you want to know more about what I am reading, visit me at my Goodreads shelf. Images via Goodreads unless otherwise noted.

Last Week on the Blogs:


Last Week in Books:


I was lucky enough to go to Birchbark Books in Minneapolis last weekend and picked up a few books. These were two that I really enjoyed this week. Both have excellent illustrations. Powwow: Counting in Cree has simple text that introduces the Cree words for the numbers. Blueberry Rapids has gorgeous paintings and a story about a boy and his grandmother out in nature. The boy is an artist and would spend all of his time making creating if he could.


I finally got to these fun books for emergent readings. What This Story Needs is a Hush and a Shush and What This Story Needs is a Pig in a Wig are great for Elephant and Piggie fans. They have simple text and a good helping of silliness.


I appreciated the calmness of I am Yoga and I really love the video that Emily Arrow created to go with it.


 

Pax is a quiet story in spite of involving war. I really appreciated one of the lines, "People should tell the truth about what war costs." That is the truth. Rather than a boy and a dog, this is a story about a boy and his fox. I usually don't go for the animal stories, but this one was particularly well done. I especially enjoyed the curmudgeonly person the boy meets along his journey.


No matter how many biographies I read about Frederick Douglas, I am always learning more about him which is a good thing. Frederick's Journey is a well done nonfiction picture book biography that shares about his life. The illustrations are fantastic.


Outrun the Moon was a treat for me this week. I had a hard time putting it down at 1:30 this morning, but I was too tired to continue. I finished it with my breakfast. I'll review it closer to the release date over at Rich in Color. If you enjoy historical fiction, you will want to grab this as soon as it's available in May. It'll be a good one to add to your summer reading list.

The Coming Week: I'm reading Terrell and Keke's Adventures Through Time: Traveling the Underground Railroad right now and will probably get to Moonshot Vol. 1 the Indigenous Comics Collection. Other than that, I'm not sure what else I'll get to. I wish you a great week of reading.

Reading Challenge Updates:
Goodreads Challenge - 133/550
Diversity on the Shelf 2016 - 74/225 (goal = 50% of my books by and/or about POC)
LGBTQIA Challenge - 6/31
ReadPOC Challenge - 49/125
#MustReadin2016 - 8/54
Around the World with Books 2016

8 comments:

  1. A Pig In A Wig and the other one are my granddaughter's favorites-very fun, rather like Elephant & Piggie. I shared I Am Yoga today too, well-done book. I have Pax, need to get to it! Thanks, Crystal. I'll look for Blueberry Rapids, too. It sounds very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the Native American picture books! I am trying to build my collection so that I will have more books to share with my Children's Lit students, and there both look excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Native American picture books look wonderful - so glad that you enjoyed Pax, I loved i, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved I AM YOGA. I need to buy that book for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always excited to explore new Native American / Indigenous children's books, thank you for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so loving the look of Frederick's Journey - I saw that it's another Doreen Rappaport PBB - bound to be really special. I hope we get Pax in our libraries soonest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh! I need to get a copy of Powwow: Counting in Cree. I've been bringing my son to pow wows since he was just a baby (we have three more in the next two months!). This book looks awesome. Thanks for sharing it. I am going to put it on his wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so jealous of all of the Nerd Camps! We need to get one down here in FL!

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete